UKCF Sponsored Links
Navigation
TESTING 123
Support UKCF
If You Like This Website, And Would Like To Give Something In Return, You Can Make A Donation. Your Donation Will Be Used To Pay For Hosting Service, Domain, And Maintenance Costs Only!

$

Select Your Donation Amount And Then Press The Donate Button.

Go Back   Forums > Listing of UK Fisheries > North West
Register Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2009, 08:13 PM
Administrator

UKCF is on a distinguished road
Default Platts Lane, Burscough, West Lancs

Address - Platts Lane Lake, Near Platts Lane, Burscough, Lancashire
Tel: 01695 622794
Ticket Prices - £3 per adult, £1.50 Child (One rod only)
Sat Nav - L40 7TE
Stock[/B] - Mixed Course including Carp, Tench, Perch, Roach and Bream.

Platts Lane is a popular fishery in Burscough, and is a very picturesque venue. With over 30 swims, each with their own wooden jetty, it is an ideal place for both experienced angler and those just starting out.

It boasts a good head of carp, some nudging close to 20lb, but roach, perch, bream, tench and chub are also in abundance. It presents more of a challenge than a lot of the commercial fisheries nearby, and is a more natural venue than many lakes.

The left hand side of the lake is the deepest part, and is a bream hotspot, whilst carp can often be found in the margins around the lillies in the corners, as well as cruising around the island in the centre.

Tickets can be bought on the bank, or in the tackle shop situated just a couple of minutes walk from the lake. There is a one rod per person rule, but keepnets are allowed. You can park next to the lake by driving up through Platts Lane until you reach the end of the road. Be aware though, that the gates are locked of a night and if you aren't out in time your car will be locked in until morning.

View Larger Map
Old 06-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Administrator

reeca is on a distinguished road

I fish here regularly, and have had my best results fishing sweetcorn in the margins with my five metre whip. Maggots catch well if you're after roach and perch and the odd skimmer, but corn will catch carp and tench.

I fished here last weekend and caught two carp around 7 or 8lb each, as well as a good tench and a decent sized roach. The bailiff told me that they have matches on the lake every tuesday, with over 20 anglers competing, and he says they are lucky to get three carp between them. I had two in ten minutes!

I think it's because the match anglers use the long pole and ignore the margins. Here are a couple of pictures from my latest visit.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:59 AM
Administrator

reeca is on a distinguished road

Had an interesting session here last week. As usual, I was fishing my 5m whip using corn in the margins. There wasn't much happening, so just out of curiosity, I started dropping a few grains of corn in the swim right under my feet. It was about three foot deep, and clear. Within about half an hour, there were five carp all pushing double figures mulling around eating the corn. They saw me, but weren't spooked and they kept coming back to feet whenever I put more corn in.

Eventually, I dropped my line in and after several close calls where they approached the bait only to then turn away, I was into a fish. Unfortunately it snapped my hook. I tried again, and this time managed to hook and eventually land one of them. By the end of the session I'd caught three of the five fish, as you can see by the photo's below.

The next day I returned and fished a different swim, but half an hour before I packed up, I went back and dropped some corn in the margins again to see if they were still about. 10 minutes later I went back, and the corn was gone so I knew they were still around. I got my pole, and gave it another go. A couple of minutes later I'd hooked another, and after a ten minute struggle it was in the landing net.

It may have been unconventional, but it was a thrilling way to fish and four carp of this size in one and a bit sessions isn't too bad really!

Tags
burscough, ormskirk, platts lane, west lancashire