UKCF Sponsored Links
Navigation
TESTING 123
Support UKCF
If You Like This Website, And Would Like To Give Something In Return, You Can Make A Donation. Your Donation Will Be Used To Pay For Hosting Service, Domain, And Maintenance Costs Only!

$

Select Your Donation Amount And Then Press The Donate Button.

Go Back   Forums > Listing of UK Fisheries > East Anglia
Register Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2009, 05:26 PM
Administrator

UKCF is on a distinguished road
Default Greenbanks Hotel, Great Fransham, Norfolk

Address - Greenbanks, Main Rd, Great Fransham, Norfolk NR19 2NA
Tel: 01362 687742
Email:
SatNav: NR19 2NA
Ticket Prices: Hotel guests only
Stock: Mixed coarse, including carp, tench and perch

Situated in the heart of the Norfolk countryside equidistant East Dereham and Swaffham, Greenbanks offers spacious, comfortable, well equipped en-suite accommodation. Fishing is generally for hotel guests only and the disabled are well catered for.

The lake is situated at the back of the hotel and contains carp to 20lb, roach and perch to 3lb+, rudd to 1lb and some decent sized tench as well as the odd exotic.
All the information provided on UKCF is correct to the best of our knowledge. If there are any errors, please let us know and we will correct them. Also, if you own or know of a fishery that we have not listed, get in touch.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:01 PM

It was THIS big is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Greenbanks Hotel Lake - Great Fransham

Has anyone fished the lake behind the hotel. I stayed there a while back not nowing it had a lake. Going back in a couple of weeks, I would be interested in whats in there and what sort of bait/tactics work.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:18 PM
Administrator

dave u has disabled reputation

Just had a look at their website and they don't have a section for the fishing. They really should do, it looks a nice place and a fishing lake would be one of the main attractions. You should maybe mention that to them when you stay there.

You're probably better sticking with the tried and trusted methods. I'd probably use corn or luncheon meat on the leger and then ate in the day if it's warm and the fish are near the surface I'd go with floating bread, assuming it's allowed as loads of places frown on that, especially if there's ducks etc

Anyway, good luck and report back after you've been.

Last edited by dave u; 07-03-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:02 PM

They have a lot of facilities for disabled guest, from memoory a number of the pegs have easy access by wheelchair. Disable angling places are quite hard to come by, so maybe a bit of an earner there as well.

I don't think they want to let the lake be used like a commercial fishery, too many uncontroled people within the hotel grounds, so a security risk. They do let some of the locals fish it though, charge them a fiver and I think it goes to charity.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Yeah they'd have to be careful who they let on it, most holiday venues that have lakes tend to make them residents only. Think they are missing a trick by not plugging the fishing lake on their website though.

Do you live in Norfolk? I went there for a week last year, the weather was awful and I only got to fish a couple of times. Went to the Bridge Inn and caught nothing all day!
Old 07-17-2012, 01:11 PM

I live in Milton Keynes at the moment, moving down just inside the NW corner of the M25in a month or so.

I have just come back from Greenbanks, still a very good boutique hotel. The lake is a bit too full of lilies at the moment, but that gives it plenty of fishy habitat.

Weather was bad as everywhere else, but caught some cracking fish, carp were beautiful specimens, not in size, but perfectly formed, the biggest I had was about 9lb, but the roach, rudd and perch were fantastic. Perch around the 2.5lb mark, plenty of roach over 1lb, some pushing 2lb, rudd up to about 1lb. I have some pictures if you are interested.

They do take non-residents, but not many and it would be advisable to phone up first, there are a very limited number of swims and if a couple of families are fishing there, it might be tight.

They have common and ghost carp up to 20lb, plus some exotics. Perch have recently been caught at 3lb plus and roach the same, rudd they say up to 9oz, but I caught bigger than that. There are some elusive tench in there, best I had was about 2lb, but there are bigger. They are all in pristine condition.

It's a good place to base yourself, there are a number of quality commercials within 20 minute drive if you want something different, but it is not a cheap place if you are on a budget. Norwich and the Broads are only half an hour away if you want a break from fishing.

Our room had a lobby with a fridge and microwave where you could store your gear, as well as a loft room that would suit as a second bedroom. They also have self-catering family suites that could accommodate 8 overlooking the lake. These are very high spec and all mod cons.

The good thing is that Alex, one of the owners, is a keen fisherman and therefore will always try and provide any advice of help you need, he is also an excellent chef and therefore doesn't get as much time on the bank as he would like.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:15 PM

I have never had any success at the Bridge Inn either on the lakes or the river. If you go that way again, a bit further on is Elsing, there is a fishery there called Bartles Lodge, that is a good place. the guy that runs it used to hold the barbel record for the Wensum, really knows his stuff.

If you ever go there, beware of the ducks, especually the Muscovies, they are the size of turkeys and are quite happy to eat the bait from under your feet.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:50 PM
Administrator

That's brilliant. I probably will go back to Norfolk eventually, but the drive there was a bit too long for my 5 year old daughter! When she's a bit older we'll go back as it's a lovely part of the world, even if it didn't stop raining last time we went.

Tags
great fransham, greenbanks, norfolk