UKCF Sponsored Links
Navigation
TESTING 123
Support UKCF
If You Like This Website, And Would Like To Give Something In Return, You Can Make A Donation. Your Donation Will Be Used To Pay For Hosting Service, Domain, And Maintenance Costs Only!

$

Select Your Donation Amount And Then Press The Donate Button.

Go Back   Forums > Listing of UK Fisheries > North West
Register Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Administrator

UKCF is on a distinguished road
Default Sephton Farm, Burscough, West Lancs

Address - Sephton Farm Fisheries, Berry House Road, Holmeswood, Ormskirk, West Lancashire, L40 1UG
Tel: 01704 893178
Ticket Prices - £6 one rod. £8 two rods.
Species - Mixed Course, including Crucian, Grass and Ghost Carp.

Sephton Farm Fisheries is situated in beautiful surroundings with a running waterfall into one of the two lakes. It is located not far from the Wildfowl Trust in Burscough. If you drive past the Wildfowl Trust (coming from Burscough) just carry on down the road, past Windmill Animal Farm, and follow the road around until you see the sign for Sephton Farm on the left.

Payment is made by taking an envelope from the box, writing your name and car registration on it, putting your cash in and then posting it into the hatch above the box.

You have a choice of two lakes. A small one immediately next to the car park (pictured right), and a larger one just round the back of it (see picture above). Both lakes contain a wide variety of fish, Perch, Roach, Rudd, Golden Orfe, Tench, Gudgeon, Bream, and various species of Carp including Common, Mirror, Crucian, Ghost and Grass. There are also Barbel and Chub in there.

The larger lake contains some large Carp that go to over 20lb.

Prices are £6 for one rod, and £8 if you're fishing two.

View Larger Map
Old 06-12-2009, 04:13 PM
Administrator

dave u has disabled reputation

I ended up at Sephton Farm quite by chance. I'd planned a day's fishing at my usual haunt, Platts Lane in Burscough, only to find out that they had a match on there and it was closed to the public for the day. I'd driven past Sephton Farm a few weeks earlier, and called in to have a quick look. So with Platts Lane not an option, I jumped in the car and drove the extra ten minutes down the road to Sephton Farm.

Upon getting there I had a choice of two lakes. There's a small lake right in front of the car park, and a larger one behind it. I opted to give the small lake a go, figuring that I'd have a crack at the other one next time I come.

The small lake has a wide variety of fish in it, including five different types of carp. Common, Mirror, Ghost, Crucian and Grass. There are also Tench, Roach, Rudd, Perch, Bream etc, and apparently there are two very big carp in the small lake. Mr Sephton, the old fella who owns the place, informed me that the Grass Carp are NEVER caught. I didn't expect to prove him wrong, and so it proved!

I started off on the maggot feeder, and pulled in three decent sized skimmers in the first hour or two. I missed a lot of bites though, and a more skilled angler would have been pulling them in every other cast I reckon.

In the afternoon I switched from the feeder and opted for a waggler. It paid immediate dividends with another skimmer from the same spot I'd been fishing the feeder. Then things went quiet for a bit, and I opted to fish a bit higher up in the water. That brought me a fair few Roach and Rudd (caught on the drop), before it suddenly went completely dead. So I went back to fishing deeper and landed another couple of skimmers before calling it a day.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:48 PM
Administrator

dave u has disabled reputation

I went back to Sephton Farm the following week, this time to fish the big lake. I got there around 3pm, just in time to see the the fella in the next swim land a decent Mirror of around 5lb. As I was setting up, he pulled in another, this time a lovely Ghostie that looked around 7 or 8 pound.

I opted to fish the waggler using corn, and didn't do too badly, although all I could catch were skimmers. I'd set my heart on landing a carp, as I hadn't caught one in over a year. So I switched to luncheon meat, but still only skimmers were biting. I did have a decent roach/bream hybrid that put up a good fight on the light tackle I was using, and also a couple of decent sized bream, a couple of pound each I'd say.

As the evening wore on, I knew I wasn't going to use any more corn, so I chucked half a tin into the swim I'd been fishing in for most of the day. Then I fished over it, and began getting some strong takes. I lost one fish, which felt pretty big but not like a carp or a bream. I suspected it was a Tench, and that was backed up around ten minutes later when I struck into a big solid lump that took me about ten minutes to land. I don't know what it weighed, but it was easily a PB tench for me.

Bites eventually dropped off in the swim I had been fishing (about six or seven yards out to my right just past some reeds), so I switched to the left hand margins, where I'd chucked in a few cubes of meat. Almost immediately I had a ferocious take, and a big fish took off twenty yards to my left into the swim next to me. I was only on 6lb line, and it was difficult to control the fish as it sped off around the lake.

Eventually I got it back into my swim, and a fifteen minute battle ensued. It simply didn't want to come in, and I didn't have the strength of tackle to bully it in. Eventually it made a break for the reed bed immediately to my left. I just about kept it out, and it surfaced, ready for the net. I got the net under it, and saw it was a common that I estimate would be about 12lb, possibly more.

Just when I thought I had it, it made one last kick and escaped the net and made the safety of the reed beds. My line tangled, I couldn't free it and just like that my line snapped and the fish, what would almost certainly have been the biggest I've caught, was gone. Gutted.

I'll definitely be coming back here though, it was a very good day's fishing and I really enjoyed it. If you haven't fished Sephton Farm, give it a try.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:39 PM
UKCF Member

Ian-O is on a distinguished road

Had a good day here today. Landed the three biggest carp I've ever caught, one of them looked like a double but I didn't weight it so can't be sure. Used pellets to start with, but didn't get anywhere. Switched to meat and it paid off pretty quickly.

The water is apparently notorious for going quiet mid afternoon, but I caught fairly regularly throughout the day, mostly skimmers but I did have a decent bream too.

Tags
burscough, ormskirk, sephton farm, west lancashire