UKCF Sponsored Links
Navigation
TESTING 123
Support UKCF
If You Like This Website, And Would Like To Give Something In Return, You Can Make A Donation. Your Donation Will Be Used To Pay For Hosting Service, Domain, And Maintenance Costs Only!

$

Select Your Donation Amount And Then Press The Donate Button.

Go Back   Forums > Listing of UK Fisheries > North West
Register Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2009, 07:43 AM
Administrator

UKCF is on a distinguished road
Default Mescar Lakes, Lydiate, Merseyside

Address - Mill House Fishery, Mescar Lake & Greens Lane, Lydiate, Merseyside
Tel: 07808 764374
Ticket Prices - £5
Stock - Mixed coarse, including carp and golden orfe

Three large waters, each chock full of quality fish. Small to medium sized carp are plentiful, but all three lakes - Green Lane Ponds, Mistral and Mescar - are also well stocked with bream, chub, roach, rudd and golden orfe.

At the junction of Eager Lane and Greens Lane you will find a track leading to the lakes. Green Lane Ponds is the oldest of the three lakes, followed by Mescar and then Mistral, which was opened in 2007. There are regular matches fished here, with an entry fee of £15. For pleasure anglers, it's £5 per peg, with a maximum of two rods. Payment can be made on the bank.

View Larger Map
All the information provided on UKCF is correct to the best of our knowledge. If there are any errors, please let us know and we will correct them. Also, if you own or know of a fishery that we have not listed, get in touch.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:02 PM
Administrator

dave u has disabled reputation

Fished here for the first time in June. I'd heard good things about Mescar, and was looking forward to giving it a try. It was a sunny day, which at least provided some crumb of comfort as the fishing was dead. No-one around the lake seemed to be catching, least of all me. I arrived at 11am, and didn't have a single bite until 3.30pm, which turned out to be a small roach. I had been using corn, but there was nothing happening with that so I switched to meat and that tempted the roach.

I'd been putting bait into two swims to the left and right of where I was fishing, close in next to some reed beds. It had been a long slog, but late in the afternoon the rod tip went round and I was into something big. So big that it took off around the corner and into the next swim, and I couldn't stop it. The problem I had was there was a big tree between the two swims, meaning I couldn't just walk around and play the fish from there, I had to try and bully it back around the corner.

I was using 6lb line, and a light feeder rod, not the ideal equipment to force the fish back to where I wanted it. Luckily enough, it chose to come back of it's own accord, and shortly afterwards it came up to the surface, seemingly ready to come in. It looked around 15lb, a personal best for me, or at least it would have been had I not been too keen to get it in. As soon as it saw the net, it took off for the middle of the lake and snapped my line near to the hook.

After such a slow day, I knew this had been my one shot at making a success of this trip, and I'd blown it. Not a hard luck story, it was completely my own fault for getting too excited and not waiting til the fish was ready to come in.

I gave it another 15 minutes, but my heart wasn't in it now, I knew that I'd blown the only chance I was going to get as no-one else on the lake was doing anything either. So I packed up my stuff, walked back to the car and just about made it before the heavens opened and the rain began bouncing down in biblical proportions. I hadn't packed my umbrella, so I timed my departure just right. About the only thing I got right all day!

Last edited by dave u; 07-31-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Administrator

dave u has disabled reputation

Having fished Mescar Lake previously, I decided to give the smaller water - Greens Lane Pond - a try. It was an awful day, as I clearly got my choice of swim badly wrong. It was windy, but there was a little bay area in the swim nearest the car park that was sheltered from the wind and had lots of tree roots in it that I assumed would be an attraction for fish.

I tried the feeder to start with, with double red maggot on the hook. I then switched to the waggler to see if that brought a change of luck. I was hoping to maybe land a decent sized perch from close into the bank, but all I had to show for several hours were a roach and a rudd.

My stepson was in the swim next to me and had a fair few roach and rudd up to about half a pound, but also had a couple of small carp too. He was using corn and fishing a 5m whip. On the other side of the pond, the side where the wind was blowing to, most people seemed to be doing ok and there were quite a few carp landed. The pond was quite busy and is clearly a popular venue with lots of fish. Just not in the swim I was fishing! Or maybe it was just me.

Tags
lydiate, merseyside, mescar lakes