Go Back   Forums > Blogs > dave u
Register Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Rate this Entry

Sephton Farm, Burscough, Jun 09

Posted 09-25-2009 at 10:57 PM by dave u

I ended up at Sephton Farm quite by chance. I'd planned a day's fishing at my usual haunt, Platts Lane in Burscough, only to find out that they had a match on there and it was closed to the public for the day. I'd driven past Sephton Farm a few weeks earlier, and called in to have a quick look. So with Platts Lane not an option, I jumped in the car and drove the extra ten minutes down the road to Sephton Farm.

Upon getting there I had a choice of two lakes. There's a small lake right in front of the car park, and a larger one behind it. I opted to give the small lake a go, figuring that I'd have a crack at the other one next time I come.

The small lake has a wide variety of fish in it, including five different types of carp. Common, Mirror, Ghost, Crucian and Grass. There are also Tench, Roach, Rudd, Perch, Bream etc, and apparently there are two very big carp in the small lake. Mr Sephton, the old fella who owns the place, informed me that the Grass Carp are NEVER caught. I didn't expect to prove him wrong, and so it proved!

I started off on the maggot feeder, and pulled in three decent sized skimmers in the first hour or two. I missed a lot of bites though, and a more skilled angler would have been pulling them in every other cast I reckon.

In the afternoon I switched from the feeder and opted for a waggler. It paid immediate dividends with another skimmer from the same spot I'd been fishing the feeder. Then things went quiet for a bit, and I opted to fish a bit higher up in the water. That brought me a fair few Roach and Rudd (caught on the drop), before it suddenly went completely dead. So I went back to fishing deeper and landed another couple of skimmers before calling it a day.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 23717 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments