Go Back   Forums > Blogs > dave u
Register Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Rate this Entry

Hall Lane Fishery, Nr Ormskirk, Sept 09

Posted 10-08-2009 at 10:44 AM by dave u
Updated 07-24-2010 at 10:04 PM by dave u

A chat with the local tackle shop owner persuaded me to give this new venue a try. Apparently the lake had been dug out and stocked two or three years ago, but the owner hadn't let anyone fish it until September 09.

The tackle shop owner told me that a fella had been in his shop and reckoned he'd had over forty tench here on his first visit, and everyone who had fished there had good reports.

So with a bag of groundbait and two pints of maggots in hand, I set off to Hall Lane. My first impressions of the place were good. It is in a lovely quiet part of the countryside on the road out to Parbold, and the pegs were all neatly laid out with concrete fishing platforms and plenty of soft ground in which to place banksticks etc.

There is a big island that runs right through the rectangular shaped lake, with several gaps in between it. I opted to fish one of these gaps, as I always read about how fish like to cruise around islands looking for food.

I set up with the feeder rod, loaded the feeder with maggots and put double red on the hook, and cast to the gap between the islands. Within a couple of minutes, the rod tip was bending round and I was into a good fish. I reached for the landing net, only to realise I'd made the rookie mistake of not attaching the net to the pole.

Trying to screw the head onto the pole whilst playing a fish proved to be tricky, but I thought I'd managed to do it until the moment I lowered the net into the water and realised the fish had shed itself of the hook. Disappointing, but never mind it was my first cast and no doubt more fish would follow.

Or maybe not. The rest of the day saw me catch about ten fish, none of them worth talking about. I abandoned the feeder after a few hours and switched to the waggler and fished about eight metres out, where I'd put my groundbait in. All I was getting though were tiddlers. They were mainly little roach and skimmers, although there was a picture perfect little tench of around six inches, and a nice golden orfe of around the same size. Both fish were in stunning condition, but not really what I'd come for!

The fella a couple of pegs down from me however was pulling out big tench at regular intervals. I counted at least ten good fish, and plenty of other decent ones. I looked at how deep he was fishing, and it looked the same as me. I'd plumbed the swim and was fishing a few inches overdepth. He looked to be using the same approach, and I know he was also using red maggot on the hook. So what was I doing wrong?

I should have just gone and asked him, but I'm always a bit uncomfortable doing that kind of thing, so just continued to struggle on. It was only when I packed up and walked past him that I saw he was fishing virtually under the rod tip. Presumably there is a margin shelf there, which is where the fish were congregating. Or maybe he's just a much better fisherman than me!

Anyway, next time I go there I'm going to adopt those tactics and see if it brings a change of fortune.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 47270 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments