Go Back   Forums > Blogs
Register Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old

Sephton Farm, Burscough, Aug 2010

Posted 08-07-2010 at 07:42 PM by Ian-O

Had a good day here today. Landed the three biggest carp I've ever caught, one of them looked like a double but I didn't weight it so can't be sure. Used pellets to start with, but didn't get anywhere. Switched to meat and it paid off pretty quickly.

The water is apparently notorious for going quiet mid afternoon, but I caught fairly regularly throughout the day, mostly skimmers but I did have a decent bream too.

UKCF Member
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 45493 Comments 0 Ian-O is offline Edit Tags
Old

Bakers Ponds, Newport, East Yorkshire (Jul 10)

Posted 07-30-2010 at 12:52 PM by dave u

Spent a day fishing here in July. I started off fishing the margins next to some lilly pads using pellets. It's a very deep water, even close in it's at least six feet deep. I wasn't getting anything with the pellets, so switched to meat. Nothing doing there either. In the end, I opted for the maggot feeder and targeted a spot about twenty yards out.

Straight away I started catching skimmers and roach. The idea was keep hitting the same spot, get plenty of maggots in there...
Administrator
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 74088 Comments 0 dave u is offline Edit Tags
Old

Lakeside, Pocklington, East Yorkshire (July 10)

Posted 07-30-2010 at 12:27 PM by dave u

This is a lovely place to fish. Very picturesque lake, extremely well kept pegs with plenty of room and soft ground to get umbrella's, bank sticks etc in, and some big fish to target.

I fished here one evening whilst on a camping holiday in Pocklington. We got there just after 4 o'clock, meaning we only had to pay a fiver. It was raining, and I broke my rod rest whilst setting up. Things got worse when I made my first cast and the end section of my rod snapped in two! It had...
Administrator
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 48569 Comments 0 dave u is offline Edit Tags
Old

Mescar Lakes, Lydiate, Jun 10

Posted 07-24-2010 at 10:02 PM by dave u
Updated 07-24-2010 at 10:04 PM by dave u

Fished here for the first time in June. I'd heard good things about Mescar, and was looking forward to giving it a try. It was a sunny day, which at least provided some crumb of comfort as the fishing was dead. No-one around the lake seemed to be catching, east of all me. I sat there for three hours before getting my first bite, which turned out to be a small roach. I had been using corn, but there was nothing happening with that so I switched to meat.

It had been a long slog,...
Administrator
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 49380 Comments 0 dave u is offline Edit Tags
Old

Hall Lane Fishery, Nr Ormskirk, Sept 09

Posted 10-08-2009 at 10:44 AM by dave u
Updated 07-24-2010 at 10:04 PM by dave u

A chat with the local tackle shop owner persuaded me to give this new venue a try. Apparently the lake had been dug out and stocked two or three years ago, but the owner hadn't let anyone fish it until September 09.

The tackle shop owner told me that a fella had been in his shop and reckoned he'd had over forty tench here on his first visit, and everyone who had fished there had good reports.

So with a bag of groundbait and two pints of maggots in hand, I set off...
Administrator
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 47261 Comments 0 dave u is offline Edit Tags